When should I call my doctor?
The following are some questions to help you decide whether you should see your doctor about your cough:
- Are you coughing up phlegm?
- Are you wheezing (making a whistling sound when you breathe in)?
- Are you running a temperature higher than 101°F?
- Are you losing weight without trying?
- Are you having drenching sweats in bed at night (the sheets and your pajamas get soaking wet)?
- Are you coughing up blood?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, call your doctor. He or she will want to find out if you have an illness that is causing the cough. If you answered "no" to all of these questions, one of the causes listed below may be causing your cough.
Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff