Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia | Diagnosis & Tests


If I have CAH, will my children get it?

If you or your partner has any form of CAH, your children might also have it. If you are pregnant and there is a history of CAH in your family, your doctor may recommend that you have an amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling. These tests can diagnose CAH before your baby is born. If your baby has CAH, your doctor can give you medicine to treat your baby even before he or she is born. Treatment should begin as soon as possible once CAH is diagnosed.

How is CAH diagnosed?

If you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant and there is a history of CAH in the family, talk to your doctor about genetic testing.

If there are signs that your infant or child has CAH, your doctor will examine your child. Your doctor may order a blood test or urine test to confirm a diagnosis. The test results will show if the levels of cortisol, aldosterone and androgens are abnormal.


Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia: Not Really a Zebra by MA Deaton, JE Glorioso, DB McLean (American Family Physician March 01, 1999,

Written by editorial staff

Reviewed/Updated: 07/13
Created: 03/99


Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia



Diagnosis & Tests