What can I do to slow down the damage?
The following are some of the most important things you can do to protect your kidneys:
- Keep your blood pressure lower than 130 over 80. High blood pressure can speed up damage to the kidneys. Your doctor may give you medicine to help lower your blood pressure.
- Control your blood sugar level. You should take your diabetes medicines and/or insulin exactly as your doctor prescribes.
- Stick to a healthy diet. People who have diabetic nephropathy may need to eat less protein.
- Be physically active every day.
- Stop smoking.
- Check with your doctor before taking any new medicines. This includes vitamins, herbal medicines and over-the-counter medicines.
- Keep all of your doctor appointments.
Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff