Is there a vaccine for Ebola virus disease?
There is currently no vaccine available to protect against the Ebola virus. However, scientists are working on 2 vaccines that may be available in the future.
How can I keep the Ebola virus from spreading?
You can prevent the spread of the Ebola virus by doing the following:
- Avoid traveling to areas where there is an increased risk of getting Ebola virus disease.
- Do not touch the blood or body fluids of a person who may be infected with the Ebola virus.
- Do not touch the body of a person who has died from Ebola virus disease.
- Do not touch items that may have been contaminated by the Ebola virus.
- Call your doctor immediately if you are at increased risk of being infected and you develop any of the symptoms of Ebola virus disease. Tell your doctor about your symptoms and your risk factors (for example, all recent travel). Avoid contact with other people until you get medical care.
Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff