Exercise-induced Bronchospasm | Diagnosis & Tests


How can my doctor tell that I have EIB?

Your doctor will ask you questions about your symptoms, do a physical exam and perform breathing tests. During a breathing test, your doctor will have you breathe into a spirometer or a peak flow meter. These devices measure how much air you are able to blow out of your lungs. If your doctor thinks you might have EIB, he or she will help you decide on the right treatment for your symptoms.


Recognition and Management of Exercise-Induced Bronchospasm by T Sinha, MD; AK David, MD (American Family Physician February 15, 2003, http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030215/769.html)

Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff

Reviewed/Updated: 03/14
Created: 04/03