Female Athlete Triad | Treatment


How is the female athlete triad treated?

Your doctor will talk with you about changing the way you exercise and the way you eat. Your doctor may also want you to talk to a counselor or a nutritionist to develop a diet plan that is healthy and that provides all of the vitamins and nutrients you need. If your periods don't come back after you change your diet and exercise routine, your doctor may prescribe medicines such as birth control pills (like estrogen and progesterone) to stop your body from losing any more bone strength.


The Female Athlete Triad by JA Hobart, MD, and DR Smucker, MD, MPH (American Family Physician June 01, 2000, http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000601/3357.html)

Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff

Reviewed/Updated: 03/14
Created: 09/00