Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome | Treatment


How is HUS treated?

Most people who become infected with E. coli won't get HUS. If you do, you will need to go to the hospital so that your doctor can watch your kidney function and make sure you keep enough fluid in your body. If you have hemolytic anemia, you may need to have a red blood cell transfusion. If you have thrombocytopenia, you may need a platelet transfusion. If you have kidney failure, you may need dialysis. During dialysis, a machine is used to filter waste products from the blood. Dialysis is only needed in the most severe cases of HUS.

Most people who are diagnosed with HUS go on to make a full recovery.


Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome: An Emerging Health Risk by S Razzaq, M.D. (American Family Physician September 15, 2006, http://www.aafp.org/afp/20060915/991.html)

Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff

Reviewed/Updated: 03/14
Created: 12/06