Hirschsprung’s Disease | Diagnosis & Tests


How can my doctor tell if my baby has Hirschsprung's disease?

If your child exhibits symptoms of Hirschsprung's disease, your doctor may give your child several special tests. Your doctor may take an X-ray of your child's abdomen or give your child a barium enema to look for signs of Hirschsprung's disease. Your doctor may also take a sample of tissue (called a biopsy) from your child's rectum and examine it for missing ganglion cells.


Hirschsprung's Disease: Diagnosis and Management by J Kessmann, M.D. (American Family Physician October 15, 2006, http://www.aafp.org/afp/20061015/1319.html)

Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff

Reviewed/Updated: 03/14
Created: 12/06