Hypopituitarism | Diagnosis & Tests


How will my doctor know I have hypopituitarism?

If you have symptoms of hypopituitarism, your doctor may order blood tests to detect the levels of pituitary hormones in your blood. A computerized tomography (CT) scan or a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan of your brain can check for pituitary tumors or defects. Your doctor may do several vision tests to see if your sight is being affected. In children, X-rays can measure whether bones are growing normally.

Your doctor may also want you to see an endocrinologist or go to a special endocrine clinic for other tests. An endocrinologist is a doctor who studies the endocrine system.

Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff

Reviewed/Updated: 03/14
Created: 09/07