How can I keep from getting MRSA?
Good hygiene is the best defense against MRSA and other bacterial infections.
- Wash your hands often, using soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- If you have any cuts or scrapes, keep them clean and covered with a bandage until they heal.
- Avoid contact with other people’s wounds or bandages.
- Don’t share personal items.
- Put a towel or other “block” between you and any other surfaces, such as sitting on a towel in the locker room.
- If you are in the hospital, ask all staff to wash their hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer before treating or touching you.
Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff