Osteoporosis | Diagnosis & Tests


How is osteoporosis diagnosed?

If your doctor suspects osteoporosis or you are a woman aged 65 or older, he or she may suggest you have a bone density scan. A common test that measures bone density is called a dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA). This test measures the density of the bones in your hips, spine and wrist, which are all places likely to be affected by osteoporosis.

Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff

Reviewed/Updated: 05/14
Created: 01/96