How can I avoid getting paronychia?
The best away to avoid acute paronychia is to take good care of your nails.
- Avoid injuring your nails and fingertips.
- Don’t bite or pick your nails.
- Keep your nails trimmed and smooth.
- Avoid cutting nails too short and don’t scrape or trim your cuticles, as this can injure the skin.
- Use clean nail clippers or scissors.
You can avoid chronic paronychia by keeping your hands dry and free from chemicals. Wear gloves when working with water or harsh chemicals. Change socks at least every day, and do not wear the same shoes for two days in a row to allow them to dry out completely.
Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff