How to prevent pinworm infections and reinfections:
- Make sure your child washes his or her hands before a meal and after using the restroom.
- Keep your child's fingernails trimmed.
- Discourage your child from nail-biting and scratching their anal area.
- Be sure your child changes into a clean pair of underwear each day.
- Have your child bathe in the morning to reduce egg contamination.
- Open bedroom blinds and curtains during the day. Eggs are sensitive to sunlight.
- After treatment, change your child's night clothes, underwear and bedding.
Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff