Polycythemia Vera | Diagnosis & Tests


How will my doctor know if I have PV?

If you have symptoms of PV, your doctor may examine you and order blood tests. Sometimes the disease may be found by accident when you have blood work done for another reason. Your doctor will want you to see a hematologist (a doctor who treats blood disorders) to make the diagnosis. If he or she suspects you may have PV, you may need to have a bone marrow biopsy. This is when a small part of your bone marrow is removed and examined for signs of PV.


Polycythemia Vera by BJ Stuart, LT, MC, USNR, AJ Viera, LCDR, MC, USNR (American Family Physician May 01, 2004, http://www.aafp.org/afp/20040501/2139.html)

Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff

Reviewed/Updated: 04/14
Created: 01/05