Pseudogout | Treatment


How is pseudogout treated?

Your doctor may suggest using a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (called an NSAID), such as ibuprofen (two brand names: Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (one brand name: Aleve), to treat pain and swelling. For severe attacks, your doctor may prescribe a prescription-strength NSAID such as indomethacin. For people who can’t take NSAIDs, a prescription medicine called colchicine may be used to reduce pain and swelling.

People who have kidney problems or a history of stomach ulcers and people who are taking blood thinners cannot take anti-inflammatory medicines. In these cases, the doctor may inject the affected joint with a shot of cortisone. Cortisone is a type of steroid that reduces pain and swelling.

Your doctor may drain fluid from your joint to relieve your symptoms. This method is called joint aspiration. It is often used along with cortisone shots.

Your doctor may recommend that you limit physical activity while you are having symptoms of a pseudogout attack.

If your joints become badly damaged by pseudogout, surgery may be necessary to repair or replace them.

Written by editorial staff

Reviewed/Updated: 04/14
Created: 11/09