How can I avoid getting another infection?
Here are some things you can do to help prevent another yeast infection:
- Don't wear tight-fitting clothing or clothing made out of synthetic material.
- Wear cotton panties.
- Don't wear pantyhose or leotards every day.
- Use your blow dryer on a low, cool setting to help dry your genital area after you bathe or shower and before getting dressed.
- Wipe from front to back after using the toilet. This may help prevent the bacteria that normally live in your rectum from getting into your vagina.
- Change out of wet swimsuits or other damp clothes as soon as you can.
- Don't douche or use feminine hygiene sprays, deodorant sanitary pads or tampons.
- Also avoid using colored or perfumed toilet paper. These items seem to affect the balance of acidity in the vagina and can lead to yeast infections.
Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff