Qualifications of authors/reviewers
Authors and reviewers of health content on familydoctor.org:
- Are family doctors or professional writers/editors/producers
- Have relevant experience developing and/or reviewing health content for patients
- Are knowledgeable about the best available evidence-based medicine, as well as AAFP policies and clinical practice guidelines
Editorial process for health content created by familydoctor.org
- Content is created by family doctors or professional writers/editors/producers who have relevant experience developing health content for patients.
- Content is sourced from AAFP policies and clinical practice guidelines, AAFP journals (American Family Physician and Family Practice Management), other reputable clinical journals, medical specialty societies, and government agencies.
- Content is reviewed by a medical review panel of family doctors to ensure that the information:
- Is medically accurate, complete, and useful
- Adheres to the best available evidence-based medicine, as well as AAFP policies and clinical practice guidelines
- Expresses a family medicine perspective
- Content is reviewed by a health education expert to ensure that the health literacy level is appropriate so that the information can be understood by a wide range of patients.
- Content posted on familydoctor.org is reviewed on a 2-year cycle (or more frequently, if necessary). The most recent review date is noted at the bottom of each article.