About the AAFP
Familydoctor.org is operated by the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), a national medical organization representing more than 124,900 family doctors, family medicine residents, and medical students. The AAFP was founded in 1947 to promote and maintain high quality standards for family doctors. Family doctors take care of the physical, mental, and emotional health of the whole family, from newborns to older adults.
The AAFP follows the Council of Medical Specialty Societies (CMSS) Code for Interaction with Companies. This voluntary code is designed to ensure that societies’ interactions with companies are independent and transparent, and advance medical care for the benefit of patients and populations. Information about the AAFP's sources of non-dues revenue is included in an annual report to the AAFP’s Congress of Delegates.
Financial support for FamilyDoctor.org has been provided by the AAFP Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the American Academy of Family Physicians.
The AAFP Foundation advances the values of family medicine by promoting humanitarian, educational, and scientific initiatives that improve the health of all people.
The following editorial policy applies to all health content on familydoctor.org, the American Academy of Family Physician’s (AAFP’s) patient education website.
Qualifications of authors/reviewers
Authors and reviewers of health content on familydoctor.org:
- Are family physicians or professional writers/editors/producers
- Have relevant experience developing and/or reviewing health content for patients
- Are knowledgeable about the best available evidence-based medicine, as well as AAFP policies and clinical practice guidelines
Editorial process for health content created by familydoctor.org
- Content is created by family physicians or professional writers/editors/producers who have relevant experience developing health content for patients.
- Content is sourced from AAFP policies and clinical practice guidelines, AAFP journals (American Family Physician and Family Practice Management), other reputable clinical journals, medical specialty societies, and government agencies.
- Content is reviewed by a medical review panel of family physicians to ensure that the information:
- Is medically accurate, complete, and useful
- Adheres to the best available evidence-based medicine, as well as AAFP policies and clinical practice guidelines
- Expresses a family medicine perspective
- Content is reviewed by a health education expert to ensure that the health literacy level is appropriate so that the information can be understood by a wide range of patients.
- Content posted on familydoctor.org is reviewed on a 2-year cycle (or more frequently, if necessary). The most recent review date is noted at the bottom of each article.
The AAFP may post sponsored content (health content that is created by a third party) on familydoctor.org. This content goes through the same medical and editorial review process as content that is created by familydoctor.org. Only content that meets the AAFP’s criteria for clarity, objectivity, and medical accuracy; adheres to the best available evidence-based medicine; agrees with AAFP policies and clinical practice guidelines; and expresses a family medicine perspective will be posted on this website.
Choosing a Family Physician
Family physicians specialize in caring for the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of their patients and their families. They know how your family's health history and situation can affect your health. And they are trained to care for you through all the stages of your life. Find out more about how to choose the right family physician for you.
Disclaimer: The information provided on familydoctor.org is for general educational purposes only. It is not intended to be used as a substitute for medical advice. Any concerns or questions you have about your health or the health of your family should be discussed with your family physician. Please note that because medical information is constantly changing, some information on this site may be out of date.