Qualifications of authors/reviewers
Authors and reviewers of health on familydoctor.org:
- Are family doctors or professional writers or editors
- Have relevant experience developing and/or reviewing patient-focused health content
- Are knowledgeable about evidence-based medicine, AAFP policies, and clinical practice guidelines
Editorial process for health content created by familydoctor.org
- Content is created by family doctors or professional writers or who have experience developing health content for patients.
- Content is sourced from AAFP policies and clinical practice guidelines, AAFP journals (American Family Physician and Family Practice Management), other reputable clinical journals, medical specialty societies, and government agencies.
- Content is reviewed by a medical review panel of family doctors to ensure the information:
- Is medically accurate, complete, and useful
- Adheres to evidence-based medicine, AAFP policies and clinical practice guidelines
- Expresses a family medicine perspective
- Content is reviewed by a health education expert to ensure the health literacy level is appropriate so that the information can be understood by a wide range of patients.
- Content posted on familydoctor.org is reviewed on a two-year cycle (or more frequently, as necessary). The most recent review date is noted at the bottom of each article.