Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm | Diagnosis & Tests


How can I tell if I have an AAA?

Talk to your doctor if you have a higher risk for an AAA, or if you have any of the symptoms. Your doctor may order a test called an ultrasound. An ultrasound provides a picture of your organs by passing sound waves through your body. It can help measure the size of your aorta.

If you are a man who smokes or have ever smoked, and you are between the ages of 65 and 75, your doctor will probably talk to you about a one-time screening with ultrasound.



Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm by GR Upchurch, Jr., M.D. and TA Schaub, M.D. (American Family Physician April 01, 2006, http://www.aafp.org/afp/20060401/1198.html)

Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff

Reviewed/Updated: 02/14
Created: 04/06