Allergic Rhinitis | Diagnosis & Tests


How do I know what I’m allergic to?

Your doctor will do a physical exam and will ask you about your symptoms and when they occur. Your doctor may also want to do an allergy skin test to help determine exactly what is causing your allergy. An allergy skin test puts tiny amounts of allergens onto your skin to see which ones you react to. Once you know which allergens you are allergic to, you and your doctor can decide the best treatment. Your doctor may also decide to do a blood test, such as the radioallergosorbent test (called RAST).

Written by editorial staff

Reviewed/Updated: 08/15
Created: 01/96