How is Ebola virus disease treated?
There is currently no medicine available to treat Ebola virus disease. Some experimental medicines are being tested.
The main treatment for Ebola virus disease is care that manages symptoms by:
- Giving fluids to prevent dehydration
- Regulating and replacing salts and other chemicals in the body
- Maintaining blood pressure
- Providing oxygen (if needed)
- Treating other infections (if needed)
Close supervision and care by health care professionals is very important. A patient with Ebola virus disease may need intensive care unit (ICU) services.
Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff