Down Syndrome | Treatment


Will my child need special medical care?

You may need to give your baby medicine. Your doctor will probably want to check your baby often to be sure that he or she is growing well and isn't developing problems from birth defects.

Your baby may need to have physical therapy every week to help with building up muscle tone and coordination. Later on, speech therapy and occupational therapy (to help with issues such as language skills, hand-eye coordination and social skills) may be helpful for your child.

As with any child, children who have Down syndrome need regular medical care. Because children with Down syndrome often have problems hearing and seeing, your doctor may want to test your child for these problems at each visit. If there's a problem, your doctor may refer your child to a specialist who can help him or her.


See a list of resources used in the development of this information.

Some of this content was developed by the University Centers for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities in CA (USC), MA (UMass Boston), IA (U of IA), KY (U of KY) and supported in part by the National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities (NCBDDD) of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention through a cooperative agreement with Association of University Centers on Disabilities (AUCD). The opinions expressed are strictly those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the supporting organizations.

Written by editorial staff

Reviewed/Updated: 02/14
Created: 01/99